Monday 26 January 2015

Anti-social Media

We “communicate” all day and all night. Texting, emailing, tweeting, facebooking away, hungry for the little red notification numbers or blue messages, yearning for that tiny hit of acknowledgement or validation. 
We announce births, marriages, and deaths. We parade photos of our darling children because we think they are cuter than everyone else’s. 
(Just so happens that mine ARE the best-looking children in the whole world. But I don’t like to boast about it).

And yet, I don’t want to go public with my “current predicament”, as I have taken to calling it. 

I don’t want to post a new status - “Sarah Chambers is feeling sad ;-( at Mercy University Hospital because she has metastatic bowel cancer. #lifesucks”

I don’t want the influx of pity and sympathy. I don’t want the stigma. I don’t want the mumbling and shuffling (see previous post).

And yet...that need to reach out is there. That need to shout from the rooftops that “I’m not well you know!”. Be nice to me!! I have a heart condition! 
(I don’t have a heart condition. Withnail reference. Don’t worry Mum.)

No comments:

Post a Comment