Thursday 11 May 2017

Another Oasis of Giggles in the Desert of "Don't!"

We have completed another very successful girls' weekend away in a beautiful European city. We ate every hour or so, drank tropical drinks out of hand-thrown pottery cups, bumped into old classmates (cos, like, we're Irish) and travelled on the train without a valid ticket (wild, we were. Wild.)

The recharging is vital. The reclaiming of the sense of self. 
The conversations that don't include "NO CYCLING IN THE HOUSE!" or "I think it's the uriney traction I have, Doctor."

The last few weeks have been hard on the heart. Two funerals, two of the world's best men no longer with us. True gentle men. Warm and kind. There really aren't that many people in the world who are truly, simply, good. They were brothers, and it made me think that their parents must have been truly good too. I'm sorry I never met my grandparents. I hope the strong vein of humanity that runs through their children will run through their grandchildren and great-grandchildren too.





There are scans and all that to come this week. I'd rather suck old socks. 



6 comments:

  1. Your ability to put so much emotion into so few lines always amazes me. Thanks for sharing and good luck with next week's tests! P.S. I used to work with an English barman who was the funniest and most irreverant person I've ever met. He used to say "I'd rather suck [excrement] through my grandfather's socks." and I always wondered how on earth he ever came up with such an expression. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breff! Scans are done, now we just have the even more excrement-y wait for the results...

      Delete
  2. Well said you mad thing you! Best of luck. Aideen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I wouldn't dismiss having conversations re not cycling through the house on our girl's weekends, next time we'll take it from invalid tickets to the next level!

    ReplyDelete