Monday 2 March 2015

Hosp-it-hols*

I got a week off from chemo, and it feels like getting sent home from school because the boiler’s broken. 
I only have one or two chemos to go (this round) but it is becoming a real struggle. Most of last week I had pain in my mouth like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. Like I was swallowing hot lava every five minutes. Like I was using caustic soda as mouthwash. Mucositis they call it. Very bloody sore.
And yet, suddenly, it improved. I went from gingerly sipping squash soup to downing a tasty early bird menu followed by a lovely pint in the Mutton Lane.

It’s like when you have a cold, or manflu, and you think “will I ever feel well again?”. And then, next thing, you do. And it is so hard to remember how bad you felt. Until the next time you get sick, and then you think you feel so bad you’d rather be dead. 

Things change all the time.  They (nearly) always get better.


*Credit: AWF

No comments:

Post a Comment