Thursday 29 October 2015

Don't Mind That

Ah yeah. 

That was just me having too much time on my hands, and getting a bit carried away with the old poetic licence. 

Not helped by the fact that the second class homework last week was all about "more than, equals to and less than". Which I think is pretty advanced stuff. Though I've heard long division these days is ferociously complicated, so I guess they've upped the maths game since Figure It Out. 

But I would like to thank all of you who were concerned about my wellbeing after I posted that last bit of misery. You are all very kind. 

Lisa Lynch wrote on her blog about how cancer had exposed different layers in her "friendship hierarchy". I don't agree entirely with what she is saying, but I do think it's worth pointing out that some people are just very good at being supportive and some people aren't quite sure what's the right thing to do.

So in an effort to make these ramblings somewhat useful rather than just a brainvomit on a page, I would suggest the following:
  • If in doubt about what to say to someone who has cancer/lost an eye/had a miscarriage/got divorced, just say hello.
  • If they don't answer, try again in a month or so.
  • If they tell you to get lost, do.
  • If they ask you about your life, don't feel that you can't tell them good news in case that will remind them how much their life sucks - they know their life sucks at the moment but it's nice to be reminded that there are still good things happening in the world.
  • Offering to help in the future is fantastic. 
  • Actually helping without waiting to be asked is sublime. 
  • Knowing instinctively what will help is Yoda-esque.
(See? Useful.)



No comments:

Post a Comment