Monday 19 October 2015

Semi-Private

I foolishly pointed out at 10:30pm last night that my insurance only covers me for semi-private accommodation, i.e. not for a fully private room. Loads of insurance providers have made it almost impossible to get cover for a fully private room in a public hospital, but if it so happens that the only room available is a private one then the hospital and the insurer call it quits and you don’t have to pay the difference. You can also get around it by having a medical reason for being all on your own, like if you might be a danger to others by being radioactive or infectious. (Pity that doesn’t extend to being a danger to others by being a racist snoring know-it-all pain in the ass, that would have nicely emptied my multi-occupancy room for me.) 
So when I told the night manager lady that I wasn’t covered, she could have winked and nodded and said ah sure we’ll sort that out for you, don’t worry your little head. Instead, however, she decided it would be best to scoop me out of my nice little cocoon and march me down the corridor to the manky ancient parquet-floored four-bedded hellhole that contained three eager little heads poking out of the tops of their blankets, delirious to be welcoming another poor sucker to their fold. 
Correction. I say three heads, when in fact I could only see two, with the third hidden behind a purple paper curtain, but as she kindly shouted from within, “I’m not being rude, I’m just using the commode!”


I think I’ll pay the €172 a night extra from now on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment