Sunday 17 January 2016

Mum's Thumbs

Ross from Friends is a big fan of opposable thumbs, if I recall correctly. 
I don't really care if they are opposable, I just need them to not be covered in cracks and fissures.

My friendly monoclonal antibody, Vectibix, which is doing a sterling job of keeping my cancer at bay, is also busy wreaking havoc with my epidermis. I don't really even notice the pizza face any more, it has become the new me and it doesn't hurt like it used to, so it's not a big issue.

The banjaxed fingers, however, are a bloody curse.

For a moment, lets consider the kinds of things mums need intact digits for. 

Pressing pop fasteners on babygrows (no one knows how to spell that correctly).
Pulling up zips on baby sleeping bags.
Buttoning tiny buttons on tiny children's clothes.
Carseat/buggy/highchair strap buckling.
Texting (e.g. "come home now before I strangle one of them").
Chopping onions/garlic/chillies/lemons (in increasing order of OOUCHHHH when the juice seeps into the cracks).
Completing the cutesy craft homework the teacher so thoughtfully chose to send home, while the pupil is lounging in front of Paw Patrol.
Getting the plastic seal off a wine bottle.
Prizing apart vital Lego bits.
Constructing scale models of Anfield with approximately 50 million miniscule styrofoam components (not that I am ungrateful for the very thoughtful Christmas present...)
Typing grievances onto the interweb, looking for cyber sympathy.

Small trials I know, but surprisingly trialsome. 

God help me if I had something to really complain about.




1 comment:

  1. cyber sympathy. And soppy love in transit. X

    ReplyDelete